-->

Friday, August 2, 2024

Gelt and Sand; and The Hungering End

I wrote two games and didn't get to post them here. So, why not post them today?


Gelt and Sand

On a desert planet populated by giant sandworms and masses of microbiologic aliens, people do their best to mine the Gelt that allows for extraordinary feats.

Success is decided by flipping a coin. Every heads counts as a success. Flip additional coins depending on your stat.

A coin on its side allows you to glimpse the future briefly, but the character doesn't enact its action. You can ask a yes/no question and receive a true answer from the GM.

You have three points that you can assign into the following stats (max +2):

Strength, Senses, Smarts, Socializing

Depending on your class in society, you can add an extra coin when performing duties characteristic to it, and you gain one of the following features:

  • Artist - Consume 1 Gelt to make someone believe a fact.
  • Merchant - Can buy anything for 1 Gelt less.
  • Philosopher - Once per session, you can place a coin on its side for free.
  • Warrior - Can kill a creature with 2 successes.

Gain Gelt by defeating the aliens, bartering, and serving.

You can consume 1 Gelt to place 1 coin any way you choose. Furthermore, you can consume 10 Gelt to permanently increase one stat by 1.



I wrote this game after a presentation I had on D&D Slovakia on April 29th regarding writing 200-word TTRPGs. I followed all the steps I outlined during the presentation while making this. (Please ignore the fact that the list should start with a 0.)

  1. Reason for me writing it (demonstration of the process)
  2. Concept (a game heavily inspired by Dune)
  3. Conflict resolution (coin pools)
  4. Things that distinguish the players (stats, societal class)
  5. Extra stuff (managing Gelt as a resource, visions, advancement)
  6. Keep cutting down stuff until there's merely 200 words.

I don't think I've written a game with dice pools ever before. I wanted it to retain some of the inspiration from the Dune, hence the giant sandworms and visions, but I was trying to come up with something that's not outright Spice. I've received a suggestion for Gelt, so I rolled with that. I especially like the placing of a coin on its side that a Philosopher can do once per session for free, or that anyone can do by spending Gelt. Can it happen in an actual coin flip? I mean, possibly. I don't think I've seen it happen yet, but there are videos of it online, so... why not have a bit of fun with it?


The Hungering End

This was for another challenge on JFace Games' discord server. According to the random rolls, we had to go with:

  • Period: Renaissance
  • Genre: Cosmic Horror
  • Tone: Grimdark
  • Playstyle: Theatre of the Mind
  • Resolution: New design with anything

I published this game on March 4th, and back then I was quite fascinated by the Heckadeck. I still am, don't get me wrong, it's just that my focus has shifted on other things. I still await the day though when I'll be able to incorporate the heckadeck into some game proper, perhaps even in a not-so-distant future... hint-hint nudge-nudge.

I will admit, it's been a while since I wrote this. Upon rereading it, it honestly doesn't even feel like a proper TTRPG, but that's up for a debate I'm too lazy to have. What I really like about this though is the fact that all of the archetypes the players can play use different resources for different purposes. Back in the days when I played World of Warcraft, the classes I found the most interesting were those that deviated from the Mana norm. Rogue has Energy which lets them use their abilites a lot more frequently, Warrior has Rage that builds up the more damage they take, Rune Knights have three pairs of runes (and more with some talent tree, iirc?) with a simple recharge, and Runic Power that charges up the more runes they use. You get the point. Ever since writing D6 Feet Under, I couldn't stop thinking about replacing the "hit points" with an actual resource that explains somehow how you survive attacks: Energy, Power, Protection, Will, Plan, Luck.

Honestly, I don't know if the game is even playable. Right now I'm having a hard time finding how many cards is a player supposed to hold in their hand. And with a condition of destroying all GM's cards in the deck? That would make for quite a long campaign, if it can be called that. This all feels more like a board game with some story bits inbetween, but I still wanted to post it here for completeness' sake.

Back then I wasn't entirely satisfied with calling this "renaissance", but honestly? What better way is to do a renaissance cosmic horror is there than with a tale of an actual inevitable rebirth of a world?

The game is serviceable I suppose, and there are some neat ideas hidden within. But I wouldn't call it a great game. It's just made for a challenge.


Recently I counted how many games I've published, and I believe the number is 29 for now. The One Page RPG Jam 2024 is here. I know I said I don't have to participate this year, ... but with a theme like Transportation? It's hard to resist the call.

Thank you for reading, and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment