-->

Monday, August 26, 2024

Design of Everyone Slays the Princess

Got inspired to make a game that would combine Everyone is John with Slay the Princess. It's not an adaptation or a hack of either, it's just inspired by both. I aimed for a format of a business card, and I think it went well. Here's what I learned.

Note: This article might include minor spoilers to Slay the Princess.


You're on a path in the woods. And at the end of that path is a cabin. And in the basement of that cabin is a princess. You're here to slay her. If you don't, it will be the end of the world.
A screenshot from the video game that inspired this game, Slay the Princess.



You're On a Path in the Woods

The idea came to me spontaneously when Toyo mentioned that one of his first systems he GMed was Everyone is John. Just like that, something in my mind sparked and went "mix it with Slay the Princess". I looked up the rules though, and I realized... that I will have to approach this differently. See, in Slay the Princess, the voices do not fight for control over the Hero. Then again, they don't take turns either, but here I wanted the players to be voices that do not fight, so I figured they'll be taking turns controlling the Hero. A key factor worth mentioning is that I made it so that every Hero's Act lasts at most 15 minutes in real life, so that other players get a turn too and there's some sense of urgency.

A key factor for Slay the Princess is the Princess' attitude towards the Hero that keeps shifting, usually to worse and worse attitude. I had the brilliant idea for it to measure it with Threat that increases whenever the Hero does something suspicious, starting at a 0.

As for the rolls, I figured I could just use the Threat as the difficulty for the rolls. I had skills in the system also, and the players rolled a 1d12 with an intent of rolling more than the Threat. It all sounded great in my head, though written down like this the issues might look obvious.

I managed to scrounge up 3+1 volunteers, two ditched hours before the playtest, I managed to find one more. It was time to play, and the game was... well...


Everything Goes Dark, and You Die

So... let's talk about the Threat.

If you've played Slay the Princess, you know that the first proper choice you get to make is once you enter the cabin: do you take the Pristine Blade with you or not? In my playtest, I decided to replace the blade with two items of my own creation: keys that unlock the Princess' shackles, and a small vial with a strange liquid inside. The two items were on a pair of pedestals, just far apart enough that they can't be touched at the same time. Also in the room was the pristine blade hidden, which could be taken with one of the other two items if it was picked up first. Once you pick either from the items on the pedestals, the other one vanishes. The player asked to make a roll to search the room on the first or second Act, and that's when I realized the problem. The difficulty for this roll... was zero. The difficulty for all rolls would be zero, as long as they haven't been seen by the Princess. Not to mention the fact that it didn't scale up as fast as I wanted it.

After finishing the playtest, the players were satisfied, and I knew I need to rework the system from the ground up. No skills for the voices, no Threat that goes up when the Princess sees the Hero acting all sus. But I really liked the idea of a static difficulty for everything. I gave it a lot of thought, and I realized something: the timer. Just use the number of minutes left as a difficulty!

Roll a number of d20's, and take the lowest roll. If it's less than the number of minutes that remain on the timer, you have succeeded. Since the timer starts at 15 minutes, and saying anything takes a moment, the best difficulty for a player is 14. This translates to rolls of 13 or less succeeding, so 65% if you roll a single die. You roll an additional die if some Voice is relevant, and yet another die if your own Voice is relevant to the action. Failing an action that relates to your own Voice in the first minute of the game has a chance of less than 5%, and you have a good chance of succeeding on things with your own Voice even in the last 6 or so minutes of the game.


The Blade is Your Implement

What would the game be without an implement of some kind. While the original game kept it very simple with a blade that can hurt and kill and cut things, I wanted to give my game a little extra oomph, to let people who know Slay the Princess already discover something new every time. Sadly, I couldn't fit details onto a business card, and I didn't want a situation where there are merely three detailed items. Instead, I tried to go for ten evocative items. Just for fun, I'll come up with at least one use for each of these for this blog post (I already had an use in mind for most of them).

  • a pristine blade (obvious - cuts and kills)
  • a weird potion (kills whoever drinks it after 5 minutes pass)
  • a red brush (things written with it carry over to the future Acts)
  • a brass key (unlocks the Princess's shackles)
  • a shiny coin (the Princess becomes vicious if she witnesses it)
  • a blank book (a new word appears in it the first time it's opened in every Act)
  • a fancy ring (whomever wears it can't hurt another person)
  • an old note (it's a list of adjectives, when a slip of the note is torn off, another Princess appears next to the original, with the adjective(s) on the torn off slip)
  • a bright veil (makes its wearer invisible)
  • a hazy mirror (swaps Princess's role with yours)

To inspire the reader of the GM side of the rules, I also listed 5 effects that are quite minimal - kills, charms, conceals, upsets, transforms. There's also 5 locations that the GM can roll for or choose from: cabin, tower, dungeon, cave, castle.


It's All Part of Her Manipulation

On the Narrator Side, I also feature three bullet points of things that should be prepared, and five guidelines. The most noteworthy guidelines are numbers 2 and 5. According to the number 2, the Princess is the only NPC. I've thought about this long and hard before running my oneshot, thinking up various scenarios that could happen on the way to the Princess. Maybe an old man who's at a well and needs help, and will reward the Hero with an item, maybe a monster of some kind, and so on and so forth. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that that will just dilute the plot, confuse the player, and give them many more outs. If the Princess is the only NPC and the only thing that the players can interact with in a significant way, the players will be drawn towards her. Unless they just want to act like contrarians and avoid the Princess every single time.

The guideline number 5 states: make supernatural happen when in doubt. While the original game is rather down-to-earth, here I didn't shy from things getting a little supernatural, as seen above with the items. I'm not sure if this guideline is something someone will need, but it is what it is.

The final two things worth mentioning are Death and the Princess's stance. A character who gets severely hurt twice dies. If either character dies, a new Act begins, with a different Voice being in control of the Hero, and all NPCs forgetting that the previous Act had happened. An Act ends automatically after 15 minutes with the Hero's death (because if they wanted to kill the Princess by that point, they would've.) Princess's stance, or should I say attitude, shifts between four states depending on the player's actions: Cooperative, Distrustful, Defiant, Hostile. There isn't any math to this or specific rules, it's just something I figured would be a helpful guideline for the GM to keep in mind. The Princess won't just go from trying to kill the Hero to wanting to help him for no reason, that kind of shift should be gradual (assuming it can happen).


And that's about it! Like I said, the game is business card-sized (or at least I hope it is), and it could be played multiple times, assuming the GM comes up with a new finale for the future playthroughs. ... Yeah, the hardest part about this process is something I've left up to the GM. I'm not proud of it, but honestly that's the part I struggled with myself as well. Since it's based on a property that I do not own, I didn't want to put it up as Pay What You Want, and so it is completely free.

Thank you for reading, and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment