-->

Saturday, August 3, 2024

Design of Runehack: Express Deliveries

I know I said I don't have to participate, but when I found out that One Page RPG Jam 2024's theme is Transportation, I couldn't help myself. Besides, maybe it will help in my big game I want to actually write.


Swerving

Months ago, I came up with an idea for a core mechanic in a driving TTRPG. Easily the most important aspect of driving is making turns, so my idea was: the higher the roll, the more you turn your car. Going straight is fairly easy, deviating 45° is somewhat difficult, 90° more difficult, and so on, even allowing for U-turns. I left that mechanic simmer in the back of my mind for months, and then I realized it kind of sucks. Turning should be easier. Once the game jam began and I got back to pondering the vehicles, I realized... maybe it should just depend on the vehicle's speed. Roll over the vehicle's speed to succeed.

Cargo and Rating

Next up is the management of cargo space. You know, one of the most fun parts of any TTRPG (sarcasm). But in this case, I had a decent idea from the get-go: grids. Yes, I know, inventory grids are nothing new in video games or TTRPGs for that matter, here though I wanted it to take one step further. An inventory doubles as a twinned roll table. For every point of Durability your vehicle loses, you roll to see which row and which column of the cargo gets damaged. If no item is located there, you're going to be fine. If there is some item, or worse yet, a person, it will reflect on your pay and rating.

That's right, there's a rating system in this game. To keep it simple, ratings go from 1 to 5, and determine how many orders are available for you (rounded up).

One more thing worth mentioning - vehicles come in three types with different cargo sizes: bikes (6x6), cars (6x12), and vans (12x12).

Law

I didn't put speed limits into the game, though a GM could enforce them if they wish to I guess. What is in the game though are gangs who go after you, a chance for any order you make to turn out to be illegal when you pick it up or when you deliver it, and the police chasing after you if you're doing something illegal (like making an illegal delivery). The upside though is that an illegal delivery always gets the best rating it can get, and the credits you earn from it are multiplied by 10.

Actions

Midway into the first playtest of this system, I realized something. I don't have nearly enough actions for it. Back then, I had only four of them: Speed, Swerve, Take/Deliver, and Move (on foot). And it was... not enough by far. The player ended his turn several times without taking all the actions they could have. Back then, I also had acceleration be a factor in the game. That was quickly tossed out of the system. Over the course of the second playtest, I came up with several new actions:

  • Reverse that's usable only if your vehicle's speed is 0.
  • Swerving for free if the speed is 0, and adding to swerving a new option - moving the vehicle 1 space to the side.
  • Attack because your chasers might not leave you alone.
  • Small Talk lets you try raising the rating your customers will give you at the end, provided you're delivering them somewhere.
  • Radio to listen to something that will make your next roll better. Whether it's a fast tune for making better swerves, a radio station that tells you where the cops or gangs are currently posing danger, playing some chill music to make talking with your customer more pleasant, or something else, honestly an explanation could be made for anything here.
  • Improvise is a universal action for using the driver's stats. I didn't detail it much because this is a game focused on the vehicles. If these rules make it into the game I'm working on, pretty much everything else will be focused on the player characters, so I'm okay with boiling it down to a couple of lines for this one-pager.


The last noteworthy thing is that this game also contains a rolltable for generating surnames for Runehack, and it's the first game I made with landscape pages instead of vertical ones. There's more to it, but I don't know if the rest is worth going into details about. Driver types, purchasing vehicles and managing their upkeep, the length of a workday, how the credits and rating are calculated, and so on. I'm satisfied with how this game turned out, though I do recognize there might be imperfections I am not aware of yet. For the visuals, I went with a very simple dark gray, mixed with yellow squares that evoke an image of taxi in my mind. Minimal, effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment